Boxing Glove Logo
You will enjoy reading these historic
and articles. Some of the
greatest boxing events
from the 1800's
through modern history.


By the Burley Boston Boy in Three
Rattling Rounds

San Francisco, Nov 13. -  As early as 7 o'clock the doors of the pavilion were besieged by the eager crowd impatiently awaiting admission. When at last the doors were drawn open, the rush to obtain good seats was so great that many people were badly crushed, if not seriously injured.
  When all were inside the pavilion contained nine thousand people. Sheedy was surprised. H says he never saw such a house before, except once in Madison Square Garden, New York. He estimates the receipts will reach $12,000.
  Exactly at fourteen minutes past 11 the two stars, Sullivan and Ryan, made their appearance. Ryan was first to trip lightly up the stairs to the platform. As he slipped off his coat he was loudly cheered. Sullivan quickly followed, and was greeted with applause.
  Captain Hiram Cook, of this city, was chosen referee; Daniel Murphy, timekeeper for Sullivan; Charles Smith, timekeeper for Ryan. Five minutes went by before the men took their corners, and another four minutes elapsed before time was called.
 After shaking hands the two men sparred for five seconds for an opening, when Ryan suddenly let out with his right, catching Sullivan on his right cheek. Yells of "Good for Paddy!" were heard all over the house. From this moment both fought savagely. Ryan leading throughout. Ryan followed up with another right hander to the cheek, and attempted to follow up with a stomach blow. The hit fell short. For the first minute the fighting was so severe that Ryan then began to show signs of failing wind, and Sullivan took advantage of this and made a rush at Ryan, when both clinched, but were quickly separated.
  Second round - Ryan again forced the fighting, but with less apparent effect, though he reached Sullivan's face and body several times. He had lost some of his powers through becoming winded. Sullivan, on noticing this, started to force the fight, and leading, reached Ryan, who countered effectually. Sullivan then again reached for him, and landed a body blow which downed Ryan, amid loud cheers. This was repeated twice. Ryan essayed the tactics of clinching to avoid punishment, and at the end of the round it was apparent that Ryan's chance for a victory were gone.
  The third round was a regular slugging match, Sullivan being in better wind, forcing the fight from the start, but both men showed signs of heavy punishment. After the third pass Sullivan sent in a terrific right hander on Ryan's jaw, which sent him spinning to the ropes - a clean knock down.
  The blow  rattled Ryan so that it was with some difficulty he staggered to his feet. He shook himself together, and in a dazed way led off with his left for Sullivan's face. The latter stopped it prettily, and then repeated his right hander on Ryan's jaw. The blow was so violent and well directed that Ryan went down as if shot out of a cannon. It was a knock-out of the cleanest kind.. Ryan lay on the floor utterly unable to move. The police rushed in, but it was too late. There was nothing for them to do, the fight was ended. Sullivan waived the time keepers back so as to see if Ryan had anything more to say. When time was called Ryan was still on the floor. Sullivan then stooped down, raised him up and carried him to the corner. The crowd quickly dispersed amid shouts for Sullivan.

4 Pages
25 x 19 1/2 inches


Historic boxing newspapers and articles.