Boxing Glove Logo
You will enjoy reading these historic
and articles. Some of the
greatest boxing events
from the 1800's
through modern history.

SEPTEMBER 24, 1873


St. Louis, MO., Sept. 23. - Brief dispatches have been received from the prize fight but not enough to convey much information. The steamer Continental left here at 10:30 A.M., with nearly 2,000 people on board, and steamed up the river. When six miles out McCoole was taken on board, and some distance beyond Allen was also taken on. Both men were immediately put to rest in state-rooms by their trainers. About 12 o'clock the steamer reached Chouteau Island, about fourteen miles above this city, and nearly opposite Mitchell's Station, on the Chicago and Alton Railroad. A landing was made there and a ring set. Allen entered the ring first, and was followed at once by McCoole. After some delay seconds were chosen, Arthur Chambers and Patsey Shepherd setting for Allen, and Tom Kelly and "Dublin Tricks," for McCoole. The umpires were Mike Gauley for Allen, and Joe Brownell for McCoole. Allen's colors were white and blue; McCoole's green. Allen won the toss for corners, and chose the south-east corner. The crowd was orderly, and the betting slow. Both men were in splendid condition at the commencement of the fight.
                     PARTICULARS OF THE FIGHT
   Jack Looney was chosen referee, and at 2:25 P.M. the fight commenced. At the first round both men walked promptly to the scratch, and after a little sparring, Allen landed a blow on McCoole's left eye, following it with a one on the forehead, Mike returning on Allen's ribs. Furious exchanges passed, and terrible fighting ensued, and finally brought him down amid cries of "foul," it being claimed Tom struck Mike after he had dropped. "Foul" was not allowed, but first blood was allowed foe Allen.
  At the second round Allen again led with his left, striking McCoole a terrific blow on the breast, which he followed with two fierce left handers an Mike's cheek, cutting two gashes, one under the right eye. Some good short-arm fighting ensued. Mike followed Allen all around the ring, but Tom kept away from his blows. Another rally, and McCoole forced Allen to his corner. Terrific exchanges here occurred, and Allen dropped to avoid the blows.
  At the third round McCoole came up bleeding badly from the face and his right eye closing. After receiving a few rapid blows, McCoole rushed at Allen and struck him heavily on the ribs. Allen returned one on the cheek and two on the mouth, when McCoole again rushed at Allen, but the latter avoided his blows, and got one on the nose and two more on the mouth, McCoole returning on the ribs. Both again fought to a close, and Allen again dropped. As the men were carried to their corners it was quite evident that Allen was master of the situation. He had not a scratch, while McCoole was bleeding profusely.
  Fourth Round - Allen led off and planted a terrific blow on Mike's cheek. Sharp exchanges followed, and Allen fought McCoole to the ropes, and knocked him down with a fearful left-hander on the jugular. First knock-down for Allen.
  Fifth Round - Allen forced the fighting, and planted repeated blows on McCoole's face, slashing  right and left till it was a mere mass of bleeding and battered flesh. Finally he dropped to avoid a blow, and McCoole endeavored to follow him, but Allen glided away. McCoole's friends seeing he was bound to lose the fight, tried to raise a disturbance, but were quickly checked.
  Sixth Round - Allen again led off with his left hand, and got a terrific blow on McCoole 's mouth, blood following it in a great stream. The rest of the round was a repetition of the fifth, Mike's face receiving terrible punishment, Allen's body began to show Mike's pounding, but otherwise he was unhurt; while McCoole presented a horrible appearance, and seemed scarcely able to hold up his hands - his left eye closed, a terrible cut under the right eye,  right side of upper lip also cut off, and nose broken.
  Before toeing the mark Allen said: "It is a sin to send that man up to be punished. If you don't take him away I'll disfigure him for life. He is the gamest man I ever met! Take him away!" The round was gone through with, but Allen refrained from punishing his opponent further.
  The fight had now lasted nineteen minutes, and when time was called for in the eighth round Tom Kelley threw up a white handkerchief in token of his principal's defeat.
  The contest occupied exactly twenty minutes, and at it's conclusion McCoole and Allen shook hands in the center of the ring. The party the repaired to the boat and returned to the city. McCoole intended to leave the steamer four miles above the landing, but was so badly hurt that he was unable to do so, and was brought to the city. On the trip down Allen led a subscription for McCoole with $100, but the latter declined to accept it. No incident occurred on the trip worthy of note. The crowd was orderly, and made up largely of reputable citizens, among them quite a number of prominent business men.

Historic boxing newspapers and articles.